Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Going Gluten Free & My healthy breakfast alternative recipe

I've had digestive problems pretty much my whole life. I think it's reasonable to assume that my body overall has a naturally low immune system and that stems across to a slow moving gut. I was once tested for coeliac disease that whilst I was on the border of being diagnosed that I was still safe to eat gluten products. I was told that I more than likely was suffering from IBS (Irritable Bowel Syndrome) so I went on to try aloe vera juice (my goodness that stuff is disgusting), prune juice, fibre drinks like metamucil, eating more fruit and vegetables and then when it got bad enough resorting to things like laxatives and enemas. Yikes!

 I believe now that advice was wrong. After changing across to a gluten free diet I have never felt better. My digestive system moves at a pace closer to what it should. Think about how disgusting it would feel making 2 or 3 trips to the toilet A WEEK? The pressure that would have been putting on my liver and other organs would have been phenomenal. Now after switching to gluten free I am a regular daily girl and it's amazing the impact that has on your stomach. No more terrible bloating, I wake every morning with a much flatter tummy than I ever did before. I noticed that part of it pretty much within a week!

Sure going without gluten means dropping the heavy bread items and pasta which I must admit was a little hard at first. Now I have clear alternatives that not only satisfy my cravings but stop me from feeling heavy and sluggish afterwards. How many of you have had a nice big bowl of pasta and then felt like you could go for a night jog afterwards? I would feel like I could go for a nap or lay around the lounge room like a sloth.

Chances are your digestive system moves faster than mine but that doesn't mean you can't give some gluten free products or recipes a try. You may just surprise yourself with how good they make you feel afterwards and how difficult it is even knowing it is GF if it's a good recipe with balance and flavour!

Here's something you could give a try if you'd like to change to a grain-free cereal alternative or just to eat as a simple snack for morning or afternoon tea. You could even eat as dessert it's that good!

RECIPE FOR HEALTHY GRAIN-FREE BREAKFAST/SNACK

INGREDIENTS:
3 tbsp Low fat Natural yoghurt
2 tsp *Power Start blend (available at Flannery's)
Approx a dozen fresh or frozen blueberries (or raspberries, strawberries, etc)
2 tbsp of Organic maple syrup or other natural sweetener (I use agave some mornings)

Add to the bowl in that order and stir through until well mixed. Delicious!



You can play with the level of sweetener you prefer, some days I choose agave syrup but other days I go for maple, just to change the flavour slightly! This can make a yummy snack even without the powerstart but it won't be as nutritious or filling as with it.

You can change your fruit to whatever you like or is in season at the time (blueberries are cheaper at the moment and you only use around 1/4 punnet for this recipe) but I love blueberries because they are delicious and are loaded with anti-oxidants. They are very low in calories, contain Vitamin C, A and E, B complex vitamins like niacin, pyridoxine, folates, pantothenic acid, riboflavin, and folic acid. These vitamins act as co-factors to help the body metabolize carbohydrates, protein, and fats. They also contain vital minerals such as potassium, manganese, copper, iron and zinc.

*Powerstart blend is available for sale at Flannery's and possibly most health food stores. I have met Jason, the owner of Vital Longevity and creator of this product, and spoken to him about the product. He created it to replace many of the vitamins, minerals and anti-oxidant rich foods that many are lacking in their diet. It also contains Bee Pollen which he advised can help to reduce allergies as the body starts creating it's own response to the pollen when digested regularly. He was spot on with that. 6 months after starting on this product I have abandoned my daily Hayfever medications, reduced my asthma medications and even now in Spring suffer very little of my usual severe symptoms.

Powerstart contains chia seeds, waltana gold rolled flax seeds, ground - sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, brazil nuts & almonds, bee pollen (cracked cell), goji berries, blueberries, pomegranate powder, acai berry powder, lemon fruit powder and ginger powder.

You need to soak this overnight in a container using a small amount of water. I keep a small tupperware container in the fridge with enough soaked powerstart to keep me going for a few days and just replace as it is finished.

If you do not have Powerstart you could try using almond meal, crushed nuts, goji berries, finely chopped pumpkin seeds (pepitas) and chia seeds as your own mix. Powerstart is just over $20 for a packet but it will last you quite a few months even when used daily. I swear by this stuff! If you have allergies especially give it a go!





1 comment:

  1. This sounds yummy, Angie! I might have to give it a go. I have to agree about gluten and IBS - all the advice for IBS was contrary to the reality. I have been living a low fructose diet (meaning gluten free as well as other things) for 18 months now and my life is completely different.

    ReplyDelete